Re: [LUG] DVDs For Distribution

On Thursday 30 Sep 2004 23:51, Neil Williams wrote:

On Thursday 30 September 2004 10:51 pm, Sadie Brinham wrote:
Despite the fact the idea went down like the proverbial lead balloon,
I haven't become disheartened.Just call me Don Quixote :)
I've put together some DVDs containing ISOs for a range of distributions.

Are you paying for the DVD media yourself?

Yes-but as I mentioned in the original e-mail,I am able to purchase them at a
ridiculously low price,and I have more than I can put to personal use in the
next ten years or so!

Which ones have you done? How many are you willing to do?

I'm willing to do as many as are required:)if it heads into triple figures (As
hopefully,it will)I'll just have to order more DVDs.
I've done managable numbers so far,only because I didn't want them to get
mixed up prior to making the snap cases:)

Rather than downloading, you may find it beneficial to subscribe to
LinuxFormat or similar - you'll get not just the distributions but also the
latest release of KDE and Gnome or OOo which are also massive downloads for
dial-up users.

I already subscribe to Linux Format and Linux User and Developer.
There were also several LIVE! ISOs on a recent DVD from Personal Computer
World.
I'll inspect matters more closely in the morning,but by my estimation,I should
be able to fit a LIVE! ISO on as well.(Bearing in mind 3 are "credit card"
sized).

I wouldn't mind creating some snap cases for them.As Neil (I think)
mentioned in a previous e-mail,these could have the DCLUG contact info
printed on them. I could of course add a text file to the DVDs as well.

The thread was looking at printing the details onto a *mastered* silver CD
(in this case) but it became prohibitive. The group behind
SoftwareFreedomDay is putting a lot of effort into a CDR - check
http://www.softwarefreedomday.org/ http://theopencd.sunsite.dk/
"We will set up stations in public places to give away informational fliers
and CDs with selected FOSS, including TheOpenCD and a Linux Live CD."

O.K.I was just trying to "get involved" as it were.Preparing for the
eventuality of my becoming a bag lady ranting in the middle of Alymer
Square,extolling the virtues of open source software:)

I can see the movement is far more sophisticated than I'd
imagined,so,apologies for any offence caused.

What you are proposing is slightly different. Just bear in mind how quickly
these distributions will be updated - don't run off too many copies at a
time. Simon and I have got loads of Mandrake 7.2 download edition CDR's
that Simon got for an event 3 years ago.

Yeah,but you're blokes:)

As a CDR, naturally, they are no more than coasters now. Giving away
re-writeable media isn't sensible/affordable/efficient

These aren't re-writable.I'm not AOL two years ago,am I?:)

Sadie

--
* Linux- The Mac Of The Proletariat *