Re: [LUG] DVDs For Distribution

On Thursday 30 September 2004 10:51 pm, Sadie Brinham wrote:
Despite the fact the idea went down like the proverbial lead balloon,
I haven't become disheartened.Just call me Don Quixote :)
I've put together some DVDs containing ISOs for a range of distributions.

Are you paying for the DVD media yourself?

Since the ISOs will in turn need to be burned onto CDs by recipients,I
bundled the free version of "Deep Burner" on the DVDs,too.
I'll "mail the blokes" to confirm this is not in breach of their licensing
agreement,and that we have their blessing.

Understandable but I can't see that being a problem.

Anyway,they are here if needed,just let me know.

Which ones have you done? How many are you willing to do?

Rather than downloading, you may find it beneficial to subscribe to
LinuxFormat or similar - you'll get not just the distributions but also the
latest release of KDE and Gnome or OOo which are also massive downloads for
dial-up users.

I wouldn't mind creating some snap cases for them.As Neil (I think)
mentioned in a previous e-mail,these could have the DCLUG contact info
printed on them. I could of course add a text file to the DVDs as well.

The thread was looking at printing the details onto a *mastered* silver CD (in
this case) but it became prohibitive. The group behind SoftwareFreedomDay is
putting a lot of effort into a CDR - check http://www.softwarefreedomday.org/
http://theopencd.sunsite.dk/
"We will set up stations in public places to give away informational fliers
and CDs with selected FOSS, including TheOpenCD and a Linux Live CD."

This was closer to what was being discussed - hand-out CDR's pre-printed with
contact details for the group. This was going to be done in computer shops
and other outlets.

What you are proposing is slightly different. Just bear in mind how quickly
these distributions will be updated - don't run off too many copies at a
time. Simon and I have got loads of Mandrake 7.2 download edition CDR's that
Simon got for an event 3 years ago.
:-(

As a CDR, naturally, they are no more than coasters now. Giving away
re-writeable media isn't sensible/affordable/efficient so don't waste discs
or money on copies that you cannot distribute effectively. Just do what you
need at the time.

--

Neil Williams