Re: [LUG] Modem Drivers-Meet

Tony Sumner wrote:

I wondered about
asking plusnet to make the position clear in the beginner's guides --
for Linux get a NIC and ethernet modem, which costs a little bit more
but works -- and that would avoid annoying people like me who feel
they were conned but the best solution is to have drivers for USB
modems.

Good idea Tony, and FWIW (slightly off topic) the same is true for Macs. OS10.x simply does NOT like USB modems, and 9.x is not a hell of a lot better. iMacs are a particular offender as the keyboard and mouse are already USB and the system chokes with the large draw off certain ADSL modems. I'd always recommend a Mac user get an ethernet solution, especially as the majority of Macs have for a long time had Ethernet built in. Ahead of the PC in this regard.

While we're on the subject (broadly speaking) Packard Bell are known to have fouled up their Windows XP master discs to the extent that they have a patch on their website (not that the tech support will admit to it). The problem is that quite simply USB modems (and apparently printers/scanners etc won't work with them until the patch is applied. Hopefully they made a new Master disc when SP2 was released. Anyway I digress (again ;))

Kind regards,

Julian