Re: [LUG] Re: today's meets and some observations etc.

On Tuesday 28 September 2004 19:18, Tony Atkin wrote:
On Monday 27 Sep 2004 22:55, Sadie Brinham wrote:
Tony,I really feel like I shouldn't have brought up the subject
now.Perhaps,as a new member,I should not be trying to become actively
involved in discussions.

 ...and if you had not, then I would still not have the faintest idea that
there might be an issue with Linux support on some ASUS boards!
I certainly did not intend to put you down in any way with my response but
perhaps my words - as so often - did not quite reflect my intentions.  Keep
on posting and stay involved.

Tony

On the contrary,Tony,I never as if you'd "put me down"-you're one of the
mellowest people on here!

When my mate wawadave first told me about ASUS-I did something really rather
naughty.Took delivery of a Demonite OVERXGAMER-replete with ASUS K8V Deluxe
Athlon 64 motherboard.

Installed Mandrake 10 on it,purely for research purposes.The whole world went
slo-mo.Took eons for anything to load...
"Perplexed and confused",I telephoned ASUS in the U.S.A.That's when I learned
first hand that they have no intention of working toward compiling supporting
drivers for/with Linux.
The net result of the hour-long conversation being:I will never be able to run
GNU/Linux on any newly-released ASUS mobos.

The situation *may* change,I was informed,when "Linux is as much in demand as
Windows".

However,I have a perception that M$ has the market stitched up just how they
like it.There are "incentives" given to keep suppliers Windows-centric.
Does anyone have firsthand experience of this?I'm not an industry-insider,and
all I can do-aside from experiment-is refer to vague allusions of corruption
on the 'net.Oh..and phone the blokes!

Sadie