Re: [LUG] today's meets and some observations etc.

On Monday 27 September 2004 00:05, Julian Hall wrote:
<content snipped>:
I think you bring up many good points.
And I think that to somerise, various operating systems have something that
they're good at. Given the choice, you should allways use the best tool for
the job.
Linux is imho best in the server market (web,email,general office etc etc) not
on the desktop. Not to say it can't do the desktop role - it's just more
hassle (and yes I use Linux on my primary laptop).
Windows actually is a pretty good desktop - once you've gone through the hoops
of securing it.
Both are probably pretty good video editing suites - depending upon you choice
of hardware.
I'm sure OS2 is/was good at something - just can't think of it at present.
Mac OS X is a superb interface - shame it requires obscure hardware (perhaps
obscure is the wrong phrase).

The various classes of users that you refer to each have they're own
requirements.
The technical users can probably get by using almost anything as a desktop OS,
but there's no way a pointy-clicky user is going to get by with anything
slightly unusual.
The professional user will simply learn to use whatever tools are the best at
the job - regardless of OS that it runs on. If it costs him some productivity
whilst he learns the new application then so be it - he'll simply take that
hit because he needs some feature of the new application.

At the end of the day simply use what ever suites you needs best.

Jon