Re: [LUG] today's meets and some observations etc.

I've moved one of these out of its place...

On Sunday 26 September 2004 17:35, Neil Williams wrote:

There have been attempts to write themes for GNU/Linux that imitate Windows

I do not accept that, actually.
And without regard to whether people may even think they have done that ... I
would _say_ that there have been many variants of the human computer
interface (HCI) which follow a tradition expressedvery well in the Palo Alto
Research Centre (PARC Xerox) work of the 1970s.

A legal case in the US which many will recall turned on whether windows were a
new idea in the HCI, or whether they had been a considerable and
well-accepted part of character -mode interfaces.  Now I recall writing code
to draw windows on the screen of the original model of IBM PC, in 1988 or so,
and the decision of the judge in that case was that apart from buildings,
windows had been a standard part of programming/presentation for years before
anyone thought of taking the word for their own and capitalising (upon) it.

So, MS' windows (probably) not a TM (in the US) is just one example of the
large train of development of such interfaces, and some of their features
were strikingly similar to those used by Macintosh, half way from PARC Xerox
to Berkeley and Stanford Universities and the developers of X11.

Every GNU/Linux user needs to be aware of the ethical and philosophical
principles behind the free software that they use.

No.  They need to be able to find it easily in a succession of depths
appropriate to their need and time.

If we changed this list to Devon and Cornwall GNU/Linux User Group - would
you object?

Not in the slightest, nor if we changed it to D&C FLOSS U Group.

... Snip rather a good "the workers require a vanguard party until they have
been reeducated" delivery<g>

1. The OS needs developers.
The developers need an infrastructure.

the GUI is the OS to most people

Wrong. The GUI is all eye-candy. The real OS lies behind the GUI.

A demonstration that most people are wrong, but is this news?  Behind most
things we see in the mundane world there are layers of detail, and yet ...

The child goes out into the forest and sees trees.  The schoolchild sees
lignin holding up phloem and xylem.  The Biologist sees electrons transferred
across the folded membranes of Chloroplast to make ADP into ATP to make sugar
etc etc.  The PaleoBiologist sees the descendants of bacteria from the days
when the three kingdoms separated and some stuck with each other as
Chloroplasts and Mitochondria....

But after work, even the biologist likes to look at the forest and see trees,
and sit under one with a beer.

So, when a user needs something to keep the sun off and look good, a lecture
on why the Xylem can maintain a column of water higher than 32 feet by
pulling from the top (which I've never seen entirely satisfactorily
explained) is possibly not the best answer to "which way to the picnic
glade?".

--
Adrian Midgley                   Open Source software is better
GP, Exeter                       http://www.defoam.net/