Re: [LUG] file system has gone read only

On Wed, Sep 22, 2004 at 09:51:18PM +0100, Ian Stone wrote:
The whole file system went read only. I did a reboot (shutdown -r now).
But fedora did not reboot normally but went into this other run level.
The message was that it appeared to have been shutdown incorrectly (I
used shutdown -r now) and I should run fsck. fsck found a number of
errors which it fixed. Everything is working fine now, but I don't know
why the whole file system went read only.

Previous to this problem I had mounted a Windows 2000 drive using, mount
-t smbfs ...., but had mis-typed the switches to the command, but that

that would do it!

Always check and re-check commands to mount.
Never mount a drive as root - find the correct commands, edit /etc/fstab
as root, exit back to a normal user and then issue the mount command.

was the previous day, and I don't think that would affected it and
caused the errors.

Yes, it probably did. These errors may not show up until the next boot.

--

Neil Williams