Re: [LUG] Hello, Introduction

I thought it polite to introduce myself before I start replying so you've some idea of who's blathering away...

I live on the East side of Dartmoor, Hennock. Had computers since 1981 (A ZX81), worked for Zynet for a bit, have run dialup BBS's for many years (but not now) now work for a local charity. Website, intranet and general small-scale sysadminny stuff.

I use Debian on my two servers because it's relatively secure and I run both headless (I found Debian 2.2 and 3 an utter pig to setup gfx and sound and if I wanted a desktop box I'd probably pick another distro).

I'm by no means a guru, but I can figure most things out in the console world. And I think adsl is the best thing to happen to home computers, ever and after years of 2400, 9600, 14.4, 28.8, 55.6 and 64kbps I love it!

So, uh, Hi!

Hi Simon,

I recognise your name immediately from the Amstrad CPC adventure game days -- if this is not you, I apologise in advance.

Glad you've found Debian -- using testing myself now, on a mixture of old Macintosh and PC computers, as well as keeping my hand in with Spectrum and CPC software.

I'm a bit advocate of free software, severely dislike "open source" and work in my spare time for the Free Software Foundation, doing accessibility and usability for their website.

matt