Re: [LUG] Linux Training

I think the main reason for the change to Open Source software is that it gives us more control. At the moment we are forced to upgrade our customers to a new version of the database every couple of years. If we do not we end up with an unsupported version of the database. Switching to Linux and an open source database will allow us to upgrade when we want to - probably combining this with a major upgrade to our software.
We should see increased reliability because we will supply the Linux servers (as a black box). We will no longer have software installed by other suppliers - should avoid software conflicts.
The whole solution should be easier to maintain. Configuration in Linux is normally based on simple text files which should be easily updated.
I am worried that we will lose some customers because we will not be supporting the Microsoft "server suite" i.e. SQL Server, Exchange, Sharepoint etc. Some of our competitors will build solutions based these products.
Thanks for your comments
Patrick

I think that is a good idea, but then I would say that, wouldn't I.
But do you mind me asking why you want to do it - why as in what are the
reasons or factors that caused the corporate decision to go that way at this
time, rather than why as in a challenging way.

---