Re: [LUG] Open Source and The Royal Navy

On Fri, 2004-09-17 at 00:05, Kai Hendry wrote:
On Thu, Sep 16, 2004 at 05:12:05 +0100, Kevin Bailey wrote:
tax-payer pounds which are being sent over to MS for shite software this
is stupidity of the highest order.

Microsoft is the operating system. I am sure it does not provide the
submarine management systems. So what serious institution wrote software
for the MS platform I wonder?

it looks like its the command and control system - could it get any
worse  :o(

snip--------------------
Gerald Wilson writes: I used to work for BAE Systems, within the
division which developed Command Systems for naval warships. Four years
ago, I spurred active debate about the future software foundations for
these systems. As a long-time assessor of innovative technology, I
advocated investigation of, and adoption of, open source UNIX
foundations, such as BSD and GNU/Linux. Given that the company’s command
system products had already been successfully migrated to run on
proprietary UNIX, I viewed this as a natural strategic evolution,
expected to be low in cost and risk. However, BAE had undergone several
structural changes. One consequence was that computer resources were
owned and controlled by BAE's outsourcing partner (Computer Sciences
Corporation). CSC's published policy was to standardise BAE's computers
to use only Microsoft's proprietary software.

Accenture? ;)

Windows only fails 8% of the time.
http://it.slashdot.org/it/04/09/16/1254230.shtml?tid=201&tid=218