Re: [LUG] ftp woes

On Wednesday 25 August 2004 4:49, Tony Sumner wrote:
I have recently moved to the South West - from Reading where ntl provided
broadband via the cable in the road -- and now get bb from plusnet via
ADSL and a BT phone line. I have a cheap ethernet modem DSL300T and it
all works fine except for ftp. I have to migrate to DOS to use ftp which
is humiliating. So although I have only just arrived I am asking for help
already :-)

No problem.

Is there anyone who has the same setup: ADSL -> DSL300T (or any other
ethernet modem) -> linux and does ftp work ok?

Yes.

 1. % tcpdump -i eth0 -X -s256 -nn -w /tmp/ftpdump &

sent off list.

I did have problems with iptables and FTP when I was designing a local
firewall. I also had an ISDN router that played havoc with all kinds of
traffic, including FTP.

Can you import GnuPG keys from a keyserver? That's another favourite failing
in hardware firewalls.

It was the higher port numbers that caused the most trouble. FTP starts on the
known ports but the connections are done at higher ports and unless these are
open, the connection will fail just as you describe.

It's an ipchains example, but here's what helped me:
ipchains -A input -p TCP -s 0/0 ftp-data -d $MYIP 1024:5999 -j ACCEPT
ipchains -A input -p TCP -s 0/0 ftp-data -d $MYIP 6255: -j ACCEPT

Note the opening of all ports above 6254 if the source port is ftp-data.

I'm using an Alcatel SpeedTouch 530 broadband router with 1 ethernet port and
the firewall works OK - it has never got in the way.

--

Neil Williams