Re: [LUG] Broadband

On 2004.07.29 07:16 Richard Brown wrote:
Hi Guys

I'm going Broadband shortly and want a router/modem. I was going to buy a Dlink but thought I would ask the group what they thought before doing so.

Thanks

Rich

Hi Rich,

I have a Netgear DG814 , which is an ADSL modem combined with a 4 port switch. Cost around £45 these days I think. I've had it over 2 years and it has never gone wrong, except for lightning strikes ! Even then, a prolonged shut down of the router then reset fixed it ok.

It has port forwarding, NAT, DHCP, child filters, logging, web interface, etc. I have 4 machines connected to it, (via a hub) . So I end up with 3 ports free. I have a free WiFi access point running on one machine, using a Dlink WiFi AP, and I have a FBSD webserver with public access.

If you want to use broadband for running public services, bear in mind that the upload speed you will get from BT (or who-ever) is your users download speed, so don't post huge files for download, or you will get swamped, and you won't be able to use the net on your local machines.

Regards

alan