Re: [LUG] Problems with backup restore

On Tuesday 27 July 2004 19:22, Peter James wrote:
Can anyone on this list help me with the following problem:
I backed up my Evolution files in /home and then did a complete and
clean re-install of SuSE 9.0.
However my restored files can not be read in Evolution, and I get the
following error message:
Error while 'Storing folder
'home/peter/evolution/local/Inbox/subfolders/D&C Linux user group'':
Cannot create folder lock on
//home/peter/evolution/local/Inbox/subfolders/D&C Linux user group/mbox:
Permission denied
I get this same message when I attempt to access any of the restored
mailboxes.  I also can not access the inbox to read new messages.
For the time being, I have uninstalled Evolution using yast, and then
re-installed Evolution.  I am using the basic program and have kept the
backup on CD fr the time being.

That's probably your original problem.  If you backup a directory tree to CD
and the mount the CD to restore, all the files are going to be read-only
(inheriting that property from the medium).

If you have the space, build an archive using tar (or cpio, or whatever)
before copying it to the CD, thus preserving permissions.

Someone's already answered the "what do I do now" bit ...

jd
--
John Daragon           argv[0] limited               john@xxxxxxxxxx
Lambs Lawn Cottage, Staple Fitzpaine, Taunton TA3 5SL, UK