Re: [LUG] Excel mangles genes draft letter

On Wednesday 21 July 2004 10:24, Adrian Midgley wrote:
On Tuesday 20 July 2004 17:15, John Daragon wrote:
I doubt that this is refutable. But, given that the idiot^h^h^h^h^huser
didn't bother to read the manual (where this behaviour *and* how to
defeat it is clearly documented), I'd say that the probability of him/her
reading the *source* tended to zero.

That argument, as is often the case, about the accessibility of the source
code is not that the individual user should or would read or modify it, in
this sort of case, but that the development of the software is improved by
the openness of the source code.

My opinion is that end users who take science forward through
peer-reviewed publication whcih includes details of methods are likely
to think that the publication of the method in the instance of the
software is a significant difference.

Alas, you've picked te wrong horse to whip.  The book (in this case the
online documentation) makes it absolutely clear that this is the way in
which Excel is designed to work. Just because this user doesn't like it
doesn't make it wrong.

Possibly, but not with as big a whip as it may appear - it isn't an
argument about wrongness, or actually about the virtues of Excel, what it
is is pointing out that one development process produced Excel which
behaved thus, and another development process produced Gnumeric, which
experimentally did not behave thus (and in this single instance that would
have been nice) and draws a parallel which I have for some time believed to
be significant between the development process for science (in an idealised
form to be sure)

You can say that again ... The idealised bit, that is. And I think you're
wrong. What Open Source really does is to expose the quality of code to the
world, and to enable someone who doesn't like the way something is designed
to change it (providing they can be bothered to lear the language du jour and
understand the source). My experience is that distributed design generates
bad software in the same way that modern epidemiology generates junk science.

 and the development process for Gnumeric, in
contradistinction to that for Excel.

Between the seats in a Piper PA28 there's a lever with
a button on the end. It's where you'd expect a handbrake to be if you
hadn't read the manual.

Only if you had learned to drive a car.

That'll teach me to state my assumptions !

If you came to a car, having only learned to fly then you would have a
different sort of accident available.  I've only flown a Chipmunk, where
the seats are fore and aft.

So from what are people expected to come to Excel, and appropriate
assumptions built into Excel?

and if you'd failed to read the manual then you'd be one disappointed
bunny if you expected it to work like one.  That doesn't make Piper
irresponsible for not publishing its drawings.

Although I think they do.

Alas, they don't.

Excel doesn't damage data. It merely transforms it in this case, and in a
manner that the manual tells you it will. The idea that this user
couldn't reconstruct his or her original strings (or whatever) from the
data that Excel holds is frankly ludicrous

But reportedly true.

And that report is not correct.

Perhaps a reasonable design aim might be to separate
the display format from the underlying data, which would avoid this entire
class of accidents being possible.

No it *wouldn't*. That's exactly what Excel does in this case, and exactly
what these users failed to expect. SEPT02 is interpreted as 02SEP04 and
stored as 38232 (from whence it's pretty trivial to reconstruct SEPT02 if you
need to).

I see that the open source development
process of the WWW has tended that way.

This is again *nothing* to do with open source. IBM wrote GML in 1969.

jd

--
John Daragon           argv[0] limited               john@xxxxxxxxxx
Lambs Lawn Cottage, Staple Fitzpaine, Taunton TA3 5SL, UK