Re: [LUG] Excel mangles genes draft letter

On Tuesday 20 July 2004 12:34, Adrian Midgley wrote:
On Tue, 20 Jul 2004 08:31:03 +0100, Carl <cjm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Adrian Midgley wrote:

It doesn't actually prove a case for open source.

The draft is explicit on that already.

It makes absolutely no difference to the end user whether or not the
source code for Excel is available.

Can you prove that?

I doubt that this is refutable. But, given that the idiot^h^h^h^h^huser didn't
bother to read the manual (where this behaviour *and* how to defeat it is
clearly documented), I'd say that the probability of him/her reading the
*source* tended to zero.

My opinion is that end users who take science forward through
peer-reviewed publication whcih includes details of methods are likely to
think that the publication of the method in the instance of the software
is a significant difference.

Alas, you've picked te wrong horse to whip.  The book (in this case the online
documentation) makes it absolutely clear that this is the way in which Excel
is designed to work. Just because this user doesn't like it doesn't make it
wrong.

Excel can be a damn frustrating app in many ways, but it generally
correctly handles cell formatting.

However, we respond to a report of a case in which it did not, an
exception, with a comment on a diffferently-produced tool which did not
share that exception...

No you don't. You respond to a report of a case where the user didn't read the
documentation.  Between the seats in a Piper PA28 there's a lever with a
button on the end. It's where you'd expect a handbrake to be if you hadn't
read the manual. It *looks* like a handbrake. Alas, it isn't one, and if
you'd failed to read the manual then you'd be one disappointed bunny if you
expected it to work like one.  That doesn't make Piper irresponsible for not
publishing its drawings.

I was going to invent a general theory of relativity, but that's been
done, nevertheless if this sort f thing provides a shred of padding in the
shoulder pad of the jacket of a giant upon which someone else may sit
later, then it is not entirely without virtue.

If a user sets up a spreadsheet (which is not intended to be used as a
replacement for a database)

I didn't see anything that suggested that a spreadsheet was being used a
sa  replacement for a database.  It may be the case, but it may not.

It was being used to hold arbitrary data in the expectation that it would
retain the relationship and leave the data invariant despite its published
method of operation.  Sounds like a database to me.

As I said, I don't see how an open source model helps in this kind of
instance.

Clearly the proposed draft letter is not sharply enough written, yet,
then.  I do see it but may not be able to convince everyone else.

I don't think you *do* see it. You, too, appear to expect Excel to do
something it's advertised not to do because you find its behavior
unintuitive. This has *nothing* to do with peer review or publishable source
or trying to kid the world that software has no cost.

The OpenOffice spreadsheet is of course an OSS one, I'm pleased to hear it
is in one respect better than Excel, I use it as well.

Of course it's not *better*, it's different. If you want to make the cell
formatting rules congruent you can.
Is there any
general principle that can be drawn from it?

I think not.

Does it handle the data in question in the same damaging way as Excel, or
in the non-damaging way as does Gnumeric?  That would appear to be another
experiment in the same series.

Excel doesn't damage data. It merely transforms it in this case, and in a
manner that the manual tells you it will. The idea that this user couldn't
reconstruct his or her original strings (or whatever) from the data that
Excel holds is frankly ludicrous, and, I suspect, just another facet of his
or her failure to understand the tool.

--
John Daragon           argv[0] limited               john@xxxxxxxxxx
Lambs Lawn Cottage, Staple Fitzpaine, Taunton TA3 5SL, UK