RE: [LUG] Sony Lagdog, etc

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-list@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:owner-list@xxxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf
Of Andrew Shelley
Sent: 16 July 2004 22:29
To: list@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [LUG] Sony Lagdog, etc

Ok, here's the deal. A friends pc with windows xp home, of which I know
nothing, is reporting an infected file containing a trojan. The file is
buried several directories down - starting at c:/System Volume
information.
This is some sort of hidden directory which can't be seen using the file
manager or dos prompt. I thought I'd be clever, so I booted
knoppix off the
cd, then mounted the ntfs partition. I can now see the offending file but
can't delete/rename it. None of his antivirus stuff seems to be
able to sort
the matter. I did suggest ditching windows completely, but this
idea hasn't
found favour :(
<

Hi Andrew,

C:\System Volume CAN be seen but you need to tell the system you want to.
It'll warn you it's dangerous but tell it to get lost as you know what
you're doing ;)  (You do know what you're doing don't you? ;))

In Windows go to My Computer, then Tools -> Folder Options -> View:  Untick
"hide protected operating system files (recommended)".  Also change the
bullet point above it to "show hidden files and folders".

Then go to the offending file and dump it :)  If you're not sure of your
friend's ability not to delete somethign vital by mistake, feel free to hide
the files again afterwards.

If that doesn't work (and there is no reason it shouldn't) try the below.

Plan A: visit www.bootdisk.com download their Windows 98 book disk image and
put it on a floppy disk.  Then boot the offending machine into DOS and
delete the file there, where it *can't* stop you.

You WILL also need a DOS NTFS reader but a bit of Googling should avail you
of one.

Plan B: You could try www.freedos.com and use a Freedos boot disk.  I
*think* that will read NTFS straight away.

Plan C: www.bootdisk.com also have Windows XP boot disks but I don't know
their ability to read/write NTFS.

Always keep your boot disk handy (as a friend of mine recently reminded me).

One thing I will say is that Windows XP defaults to NTFS on installation
which I think is a bad idea.  I always change mine to FAT32 because I have a
software AND a hardware firewall between me and the internet and more sense
than to open a dodgy file in an email.  Therefore a bog standard Windows 98
disk does me fine :)

Kind regards,

Julian

PS as this is Windows related feel free to mail me off the list if you need
any ideas :)
---