Re: [LUG] Adding new email users

On Tue, 13 Jul 2004, Jeremy Pearson wrote:
My question is: when I come to add user accounts for the 150+ mail users, do
I need to create a standard login account for each person, or is there a
neater (and more secure) way? Each user needs only SMTP, POP3 and webmail
access to this machine, and surely not a login account too?

I just don't want the kids trying to SSH in when I'm not looking.

IIRC all of those support MySQL for authentication/authorisation. It may
be non-trivial though. You could probably set up exim to use a standard
user and password, then check the sender in the mail is in your domain and
valid, if connecting it to MySQL is too tricky. Qpopper and squirrel
should both support mysql backends for authentication fairly easily.

I am sure somebody else can give you more details - or google for 'mysql
qpopper squirrelmail'.

Cheers,

A.

--
Aaron J Trevena - Perl Hacker, Kung Fu Geek, Internet Consultant
AutoDia --- Automatic UML and HTML Specifications from Perl, C++