Re: [LUG] partitions, mount and /usr/share

Quoting Simon Waters:

cp has some extra options to ensure you preserve more in a copy - I
usually use "-rp" as a minimum of this sort of thing. Not sure how much
it helps, just one of those habits which I probably thought about the
first time I did it.

Being paranoid about mucking up permissions, when copying filesystems I tend to
use dump/restore for whole filesystems or tar for partial ones:

cd /mnt/new_fs
dump -0u -f /mnt/old_fs | restore -rv -f -

cd /mnt/old_fs
tar cf - . | (cd /mnt/new_fs; tar xpf -)

Or, if the partition is the same size use dd :)

Alex.