[LUG] Re: LUG conventions

On Thursday 17 June 2004 9:52, Solfius wrote:
Hey,
I've seen some mention about top posting and quoting material, and I take
it these are unwritten rules.

etiquette, not rules. There is a little guidance on the DCLUG Wiki:
http://www.dclug.org.uk/wiki/?id=email+etiquette

I've worked out top posting is to do with
replying under the original

Yes, rather than putting the entire reply above the original where it can be
hard to link comment with response.

(to help put the reply in context, I missed the
original post somewhere in my deleted box), and quoting material is
self-explanatory.

Are there any other of these unwritten rules it might be worth being aware
of?

Take a look at the email etiquette page but keep in mind that these are not
rules, rather tips on how not to irritate others - not just on this list but
on any mailing list. Many people here belong to lots of other lists - I'm on
about 14, Simon about the same - some of those lists may be far more critical
about failures in etiquette. It pays to take a little time now to avoid
problems on other lists.

Any form of communication has conventions, most arise from a clear need to
avoid practical problems - like a preference for plain text email,
appropriate quoting, changing subject lines when the topic changes, avoiding
pointless disclaimers where practical (the DCLUG website members area does
have a page that allows any member to post from the website without using any
'official' email client with the corresponding personal use limitations
and/or disclaimers).

Please, everyone, read the etiquette page, do what you can to follow the tips
and ask on the list if there are circumstances that seem to conflict with
this advice. Remember that GNU/Linux is all about choice and there is always
another way of doing things if one method proves to be problematic. You won't
find anyone here turning down the opportunity to help someone move to a more
flexible setup.

Common problems include AOL or company email. There are obviously concerns
with companies/employers being able to see your private correspondence from
their work address because all messages (without exception) are publicly
archived - including disclaimers that tend to prove which account you used!

Users of AOL are free to choose a flexible ISP. Company staff must take care
to remain within the acceptable use policies of their account or use an ISP
from home. These things are beyond the control of the LUG but everyone
affected will be (and has always been) supported in looking at the options
and making whatever changes are deemed worthwhile. The LUG is all about
increasing GNU/Linux usage and if that means advising people to move away
from ISP's who actively discriminate against free software (like AOL) or to
use some alternative method to avoid hassle with company policy, you can
count on our full and active support.

Whatever you decide, etiquette is not a set of rules and no-one should feel
obliged to change if the alternatives are not deemed worthwhile. It is not
unreasonable for the LUG to advise on options and point out the problems
caused by those who don't follow the etiquette - all that is expected is that
all alternatives are fully considered.

--

Neil Williams