Re: [LUG] Re: LUG conventions was Filename / Directory Names withSpaces in

On Thu, 2004-06-17 at 16:52, Solfius wrote:
Hey,
I've seen some mention about top posting and quoting material, and I take it
these are unwritten rules.

Hi Chris,

Try this website:

http://www.getnetiquette.com/

BTW top posting is putting your reply above what you are responding to.

The other major naughty is leaving a string of historical comments in
your reply.  Generally you can spot these by the number of > before each
line.  Although not all mail clients put them in (before someone points
that out ;)) generally the more > at the front of the line the older the
comment.  My personal preference is only to include the last comment,
unless that makes the whole nonsensical.

Finally (he says just remembering it) if you see a long email you agree
with, simply replying "Me too!" and leaving the whole previous email in
place is frowned upon.  I think there is a percentage acceptable for
this which no doubt somebody will be able to quote.  I *think* that any
quoted comments are not supposed to be over 10% of your email.  In
other words 1 line maximum of quote to 10 of yours.

There are a lot of other things, but those are the major ones.

Kind regards,

Julian