From: owner-list@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:owner-list@xxxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of Solfius
Sent: 06 June 2004 20:19
To: list@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [LUG] RE: Which Distibution?

Ok,
Thanks for all the advice, I've taken a look at all the replies and based on the suggestions and comments and come to the conclusion:

Mandrake seems the best as far as recomendations go, I've read a lot of good stuff about it, and it seems that there won't be any hardware problems. Only problem is getting hold of a copy of it, I know Mark offered some help with that, so that's a possible route.

Knoppix was suggested as a livecd, but it doesn't sound quite so well supported as I would like, and I'd really like to just get stuck into Linux as a full HD install and see what it's like, maybe in the future I can play with different distributions in livecd format.

Debian was also mentioned (knoppix is based on it) so maybe that could be a possibility similar to knoppix but with more support? I don't know quite how similar those two are.

SuSE sounds well supported, maybe popular too, and it's cheap for a boxed set to, or atleast by my reckoning, £20 on amazon.co.uk.

Did someone mention Mandrake on a cd with a linux magazine? Which one was that?

Krys

Lynx friendly