Re: [LUG] Which Distribution?

Hi,

Welcome to dclug.

I was wondering what Fedora
is like for a new user.

Stay away from Fedora - it has some serious bugs at
the moment and is definitely not suitable for a new
user as it stands.

What would you recomend for
a distro?

I'd recommend Mandrake, it's easy to install and
relatively user friendly - I've got cd's of the "10.0
Official" release, so if you like I'll run off some
copies for you. Let me know offlist (trew@xxxxxxxx).

Like I said, I don't have much experience in
fiddling round with this sort of thing, but my spare
computer has got something like this coming to it -
past experience when I fiddled round with a Win 3.0
machine tells me I could experience interesting and
inexplicable results once I start playing - still,
I'd prefer it to carry on working (it doubles up as
a CD player ever since my stereo broke.

Why don't you let us know what area you live in
(roughly) there might be a meeting where you could get
"live" assistance.

I'm assuming I'll have to find a new set of drivers
for my sound card, or worst case the card is
incompatible with Linux (it's a Sound Blaster Live!
Player 5.1 on the offchance someone has any idea
what will happen to it) is there anywhere in
particular that is a good place to start looking for
Linux drivers? I'll check the manufacturer site when
I get round to looking at the sound card, but I was
wondering if there was anywhere else other than
Google.

Try http://www.linux-mandrake.com/en/fhard.php3
unfortunately you're right if you have problems it'll
be card drivers . . .

So basically what I'm about to try and do is
exterminate all remnents of Windows 98 and install
Linux, is there anything I should look out for that
could render the machine kaputt?

No you shouldn't be changing the BIOS and can always
boot from a rescue floppy, check the BIOS before you
start and make sure it's set up to boot from floppy
(if there is one).

Best regards,

Mark