Re: [LUG] Which Distribution?

Solfius wrote:

Okay, so I was wondering if you could offer me some guidance.
I have next to no experience in configuring and installing operating systems, but want to install a version of Linux on my spare computer to see what it's like.
I've had a browse on the net and it seems the "best" distro for new users is either Mandrake or Red Hat. I've looked at Red Hat but don't fancy a now unsupported version, so I was wondering what Fedora is like for a new user. What would you recomend for a distro?

I've played around with various distros but I've always ended up with Mandrake on my desktop. I currently use 9.2 and can recommend it, some others on the list have said nice things about 10.

If you are just experimenting then why not try some of the livecd distributions like Knoppix? Most of them can be installed onto the hard disk if you like them.

Cheers,

Pete.