Re: [LUG] Fedora

On Fri, 2004-05-21 at 19:25, Peter L-J wrote:

I am slowly moving to Linux, using currently Red Hat 9.  (This email is
an example of the slow migration).  However it appears that Fedora is a
better bet than Red Hat 9.  Does any one recommend not moving to Fedora?

For patches etc you will have to move away from RH9 since it is no
longer supported.

I have now installed Fedora Core 2 on two PC's at work and one at home.
No problems so far but be aware that dual-booting with MS XP (not sure
if its only XP) has MEGA problems. It seems that grub trashes the master
boot record in some way and causes it to become impossible (without some
serious fiddling) to boot XP. For the PC which had XP on it...it now
doesn't! I couldn't be bothered with trying to get it to dual-boot so
just let it install FC2 over the whole disk.

In that respect I am surprised they released FC2 unless it simply wasn't
a known problem during testing. Hopefully the problem will be fixed and
patched so that people can install FC2 without writing the MBR; download
the patches and then write it (with grub).

For the moment I would say that if you are not dual-booting then FC2 is
worth trying, but if you need to dual-boot then be very much aware of
the MBR/grub problem.

John.