[LUG] Creating a small filesystem from RPMS

I need to create a directory structure that will be mounted over NFS as a root filesystem on a remote machine.

An RPM based distro (Fedora Core 1 in this case) has the RPMs that I need to extract to create this filesystem. The host machine that I will use to create this filesystem will run another GNU/Linux distro (not necesarrily Fedora), hence I can't copy the hosts filesytem files.

I have tried converting the RPMs to CPIO archives but then the post-install RPM scripts don't run. I think the key may be to get the RPM databases onto the filesystem first, but how?

I need to learn about RPM internals, anyone recommend a good guide?

I would also be interested in extracting .deb packages into a directory structure.

Many thanks
Andrew