Re: [LUG] Computer shop & Linux - progress.

Richard Brown wrote:

Hi Andrew

What's the name of the shop, please? Hopefully be ready to build a new Linux box!

Used to be called "Computer Shop" and the URL:

http://www.shopcomputer.co.uk/

They have been incorporated into Integrem and the website seems to neglect the "Computer Shop".

They are at Cobourg Street, Plymouth.

Has anybody any suggestions for hardware?

It's typically the peripherals that are more of a concern as regards to Linux compatibility, the peripherals depend on what you might do. I have Mandrake and Fedora running on AMD Athlon processors and a have Debian Sarge and Mandrake running on a Via EPIA-5000 with Via Eden processor.

One thing to watch out for: make sure that the Motherboard can support the FSB frequency and simultaneously the Memory speed you require. Example is my own experience:

ASRock K7S8X supports 333MHz FSB and DDR400MHz combination, the Asus A7S8X doesn't and runs my memory at 333MHz. Don't believe that because something costs more that it is better, not true as in the above example.

I have a little experience of building PCs, I have built six now. I use them for number crunching.

I will be building an AMD64 machine soon, as a number cruncher.

Beware of the razor sharp edges that some cases have, wear a static strap. Another surprise you might get is touching the case after sliding it out of the box, its usually in a plastic bag wedged in expanded polystyrene, the case gets an electrostatic charge of a few thousand volts and it made me jump. The solution is to attach a wire to earth and then attach it on the case, or get someone else to unpack it!

I'm waffling on a bit aren't I, sorry.

Regards
Andrew