Re: [LUG] Linux distro - help needed

jeremy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

Posted by "Jeremy Pearson" <jeremy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

I'm the ICT technician for the Five Islands School on the Isles of Scilly, and I'm looking to build a mail server based on the Linux platform. Does anoyone know of any "out of the box" distros which would be specifically suited to this? I can't be the first person in the world who's tried to do it. I need a solution which includes webmail (Horde/IMP, or Squirrelmail?) and Samba file sharing so I can back up emails onto a Windows 2000 server tape drive.

I've tried SME Server 6 (aka "e-smith"), which seems perfect for this, except email addresses are limited to 12 characters. Hugely frustrating, but otherwise brilliant.

Before you write off e-smith, how long do you want your account names to be? I don't think there is a problem with configuring it to use 16 (the max groupadd will accept). Note this limit is for account names not the email address which can be as long as you like. The only problem for email is that to access it you have to log in using the shorter account name not the longer pseudonym.

Cheers,

Pete