Re: [LUG] Graphics and Capture on Mandrake 9.1 on Nforce2 Mobo

On Monday 10 May 2004 18:15, Julian Hall wrote:
Hi All,

I'm relatively new to Linux, albeit I've been using and abusing computers
for just shy of 20 years.

I've just got shot of my old Radeon 32Mb AIW card that Linux just did NOT
want to play with, and replaced it with the combination of an Nvidia
Geforce FX 5600 and Pinnacle DC10 for video capture.  Both alleged to work
fine with Linux, and I'm sure this is luser error :)

1.  I downloaded and ran the latest .run file from Nvidia while the Xserver
was shut down.  I was logged in as su -.  Everything *seemed* to go OK.
Now when I start the system I get an Nvidia splash screen which seems
encouraging.  However when I check the Hardware section of the Mandrake
Control Panel, it says Vendor "Null" and doesn't know what module it is
supposed to be using.  I have edited the XFree86-4 file as instructed to
make the module used "nvidia" and not "nv".

If you got the nvidia splash screen you are using the "nvidia" nvida driver
and not the open-source nvidia driver so evey thing there is OK. Unless it
really bothers you ignore what the mandrake control panel is getting confused
about. It is the XFree86-4 file that configures the xserver anyway

2.  I have downloaded the correct driver file for the DC10+ card I have and
installed it, again in the shell without X running.  However when I try to
run the command to check if it is working it says it cannot find the card.

can't really help here have no experience of such cards. Just keep
googling :-)

Robin