Re: [LUG] Linux distro - help needed

I can probably cobble something together using standard Linux components
(probably Debian+exim+wu-imap+Samba+Apache+PHP+MySQL+Horde), but a
ready-made distro would save me a *lot* of time.

As Debian is packaged based installing the required packages should be
straightforward, the real time saver is configuring everying. Add something
like webmin in the mix and the whole setup becomes strightforward. The
configuration is somthing you need to do even on a tailored distro.

Personaly I use various flavours of mandrake to do just what you want and its
pretty much a case of just installing the distro selecting correct package
(or just network server) then a small play with webmin afterwards. My set up
is
Mandrake+postfix+fetchmail+wu-imap/pop3+samba+apache+php+mysql+squirrelmail.
Everything except squirrel was stright out of the box (+ webmin config) and
squirrel was just a case of following (stright forwards) instructions,
although it might be a rpm package by now.

I am sure there are some very tailored distros but there must be some
support/security benifits sticking to more popular general distros such as
Debian? (it of couse depends on the popularity and number of people/political
structure of a particular distro)

Regards

Robin

(GNUPG sig broken, added to pile of things to do)