Re: [LUG] Clueless users

PeterPETERLJ@xxxxxxx wrote:

Hi
Not sure that this is a cluless user problem, but I think I have detected a slight problem in Red Hat 9 and do not know how to solve it in a elegant manner.
Having changed monitors the machine boots as far as the black and white login screen (the one that hangs there for a few seconds before one goes to the fancy proper one) (The monitor works fine until then). The monitor then goes blank and the lights on it flash.
Work Round. Change monitors to one that works, log in, and select ones new monitor from the list (it is there) then reboot.
Problem is not everyone has a second monitor on the desk. Is there an elegant solution to this problem, one really needs to start up in what windows call safe mode mode, or if one is very quick can one use the black and white login to get in in non graphic mode and alter ones config.

You should be able to get to a non X11 login prompt by hitting ctrl-alt-f1 etc. You can then make your changes and restart X.

Cheers,

Pete