RE: [LUG] Clueless users

Peter wrote:
Hi
<...snip>
Having changed monitors the machine boots as far as the black and >white
login screen (the one that hangs there for a few seconds >before one goes to
the fancy proper one)  (The monitor works fine >until then).   The monitor
then goes blank and the lights on it >flash.

you could try restarting the X server at this point by hitting
ctrl-alt-backspace, this sometimes works for me when for whatever reason I
change monitor drivers ( my machine is in a permanent state of being
upgraded) and I can't get to the login prompt screen.

hope this helps.
Oh, and hello everyone. :)
Martin