Re: [LUG] OS size and new iBook (was clueless users)

Simon Waters wrote:
Julian Hall wrote:

I argued when a typical OS install was 10000 files (I make it nearer
100,000 these days) that file level management was too small a unit to
manage,

Just got my new iBook configured and the 30Gb drive has disappeared - less than half is left! Next job is therefore to strip out the MacOS9 Classic applications that I don't need, dump IE and dump iTunes for free alternatives and bring the load down.

Initial report from apt-get was almost 10Gb installed space for a full X environment - something is definitely wrong with that estimate!

interestingly Microsoft still try to play the patch, and file
versioning game, when Debian is managing about 10,000 packages and
doesn't manage patches at all (other than by rolling them up in package
updates). I suspect this is a key reason Debian provides such rich
functionality through largely volunteer effort (keeping configurable
item count down), it is hardly rocket science either.

Debian will be going onto this machine at a later date, for now I want to see what is behind MacOSX and get some experience of it.

First impressions are very good, package reports excepted. The laptop is all but silent. Honest, the fridge makes more noise and that's in the next room. The OS is stable, easy to work and the availability of gcc, tar, ls, ntp, bash, cvs, automake, gnupg, mozilla, KDE (if I get the package size down) - all good points.

A few problems, the initial config requests registration - not unexpected with a proprietary OS. What really felt like a let-down was very simple. The wizard asks for your Mac ID - the same one used to register on the site for delivery. Sensible, yes? You'd think so, it would make it easy to register properly, except that ID is on the web and despite asking me for the ID, the wizard did not attempt to configure the internet connection before trying and failing to verify the ID. Duh!

Plus, the default mirror for the apt sources list is in the US. It doesn't use the usual sources.list or apt tool for changing the mirror (it's a sourceforge URL so I'd expect the usual Dublin SourceForge mirror to work) so I'm stuck with modem speed downloads over broadband until I get the right URL. SO ANNOYING!

Other niggles: the # symbol is available but not printed on the key (it's alt-3) which is a real problem when dealing with comments in config files for the first time! And the @ is in the american position - swapped with ".

(Signed with my secondary key for now, the laptop one.)

--

Neil Williams