RE: [LUG] Clueless users

In some ways Windows is *sort of* modular.  Inasmuch as programmers think
"Why write a DLL for that function when I can just tell my program to use
the Internet Explorer DLL?", and thus make their own code a lot smaller.  Or
at least they SHOULD.  The obvious downside is the all too common "You must
have X Y or Z installed to run this program" instead of having the sense to
carry the required DLLs in the installer.  If the user HAS the required
program, fine just don't install them, but don't expect a user to install a
20Mb program just because you can't be bothered to include a couple of DLLs
in your install program.

The other obvious point is that if you follow this approach, when Windows
gets reinstalled after crashing for the second time today (OK let's be kind,
this week!) you need to reinstall all your programs.  Some programmers to
give them their due do write programs that do not use the Windows install in
any way, Poser for example.  If you reinstall Windows and had Poser on a
separate partition, just recreate the shortcut and you're back up and
running.

Having said all the above, the modular approach is taken a lot more by third
parties writing programs *for* Windows, than in Windows itself, where I
grant you that "bloatware" rules the day.  I wrote my first program way back
in 1987 on a BBC Master and had to strip all the REMs out to get it to run
inside the available memory.  Not that it wasn't modular, but 7500 lines of
BBC Basic does run up a big bill in RAM :)  Who wants to bet all the REMs
have been purposefully left in every runtime copy of Microsoft applications?
:)

That'll eat your hard disk like nobody's business.  My current Mandrake 9.1
install is a shade under 2Gb including all the apps and utilities I
installed during the setup.  My Win2K install is about 2Gb before I even
start adding all the applications.  That says quite clearly, "Microsoft
Windows is not written to be compact".

Anyway, this is a Linux mailing list, so I'll go back to my box now :)

Kind regards,

Jules