RE: [LUG] Advocating Linux was: Computer Shops and Linux (and various other s as well).

I missed the beginning of this thread, so apologies in advance if I am
repeating what has already been said.

As you may or may not know I have had Linux on my system for the best part
of a year now, and for one reason or another I still count myself as a
newbie.  Mainly down to time availability to sit down and learn an entire
new OS having been Windows-hampered for the last 8 or 9 years.  Having said
that, with regard to the thread, from a newbie perspective I would like to
see;

1.  Choice in the High Street.  It's all very well Evesham and HP etc
bucking MS and selling systems with Linux installed as a choice, however
they are only going to get people who already know about Linux.  HP AFAIK
are only planning on selling Linux PCs in the Far East (Knoppix?) and USA
(Mandrake I think?).  Nothing in the UK.  As for Evesham, people will only
buy from them who already have an Internet connection, and therefore
obviously a PC.  It's not a good idea to tell a newbie PC owner, "OK you've
just got to grips with Windows, dump that now and learn Linux".  It won't
happen.

However, if the HS outlets (and I'm including superstores like PC World)
sold Linux PCs over the counter, the newbie user would start learning Linux
from day one.  I know myself all too well how hard it is for someone who has
used Windows for years to suddenly swap over to a new OS.  When you've been
using Windows a long time, it's not even simply the OS, it's all the
applications you have come to know and love.  Relearning the Linux
equivalents, *finding* the Linux equivalents, getting WINE to work if there
is no Linux equivalent... etc etc..

The point I am making, and admittedly taking a long time over ;) simply the
old "You can't teach an old dog new tricks" but catch it as a puppy and
you're laughing.

2.  More simple English used in manuals and documentation.  The Linux
community *is* a real community of helpful people, and I applaud you all and
thank you for the help you have given me.  However, those like me *need*
your help because manuals and documentation are generally written by people
who assume an experienced Linux user is reading it.  Comments like "edit the
fstab to say...." or "recompile the kernel", "compile the RPM..." etc,
without any real help to the new user as to *how* to do that exactly.  I
know and appreciate nobody can cross all the Ts and dot *all* the Is, but a
little less generalisation wouldn't hurt :)

3.  Greater awareness.  The problem Linux faces is Advertising.  Microsoft
most likely have a budget of millions, whereas the Linux community en bloc
has next to nothing.  However the big distros such as RedHat, SUSE and
Mandrake etc could do more IMHO to push awareness of their OSs, so that the
(mainly) TV watching public will think when they go into their local shop
"Oh that Linux looked good"  "Excuse me Salesperson, I want a new PC with
Linux on it."  The more people who do that, the more likely the management
will start to see the profit of shipping PCs with Linux pre-installed.

Anyway, those are the thoughts of a relative newbie :)

Kind regards,

Julian