Re: [LUG] Advocating Linux was: Computer Shops and Linux (and variousother s as well).

Brough, Tom wrote:
I know I'm going to get flamed about this, but then that's part of advocacy
:-)

;)

1. Its NOT the job of any particular shop to promote one "brand"  of
technology over another. True, better shops will retain more informed staff
who will be able to give Joe Punter (JP) an idea of what to expect and which
way to go, but ultimately JP makes the decision as to what he buys and the
reasons for buying (and rightly so).

Quite a lot of businesses look to their "computer shop" to provide
support, and a service, rather than just hardware/software.

As such it is the shops job to deliver a system that works, and the
business customers will buy it if they like it. Joe Corporate doesn't
care what is inside - any company choosing technology on philosophical
grounds is losing the plot (unless that philosophy can be expected to
bring clear business benefits) - similarly any company rejecting free
software because they "don't know about it", or "don't understand it",
better learn how to make purchasing decisions.

I know Shabir at Titan was keen on anything that would get him email and
file servers in the field that;

a) Go wrong less often.
b) Need less on-site visits.

He was interested in Linux for this, but I'm confident he'd equally be
interested in Open BSD, or MacOSX, or Windows add-ons. What matters to
him is keeping customers happy and coming back to buy the next lot of
computers or consumables. His main problem with Linux was I suspect
finding a supplier to provide a turn-key solution for small businesses.

I was looking at these turn-key solutions - but I ran out of energy/time
to pursue it. Also the market is quite competitive (there are a lot of
small suppliers of Linux mail/file servers), but there is room for
someone providing a hybred 'distributor/VAR' service for some of these
products locally I'm sure, as log as you can market them effectively.