Re: [LUG] Computer shops and Linux

All I ask for is just someone there to have heard of linux. This is
usually what I base my rating of the shop on. If they've heard of it
that's often enough for me to consider buying something.

The usual response is roughly "Ah there's this guy who comes in on fridays
who's mentioned that. He's got a beard."
Following this there's "Pardon?"
And then, least likely: "I'm not an expert but I believe that may work on
linux but don't quote me on that".

The best response has been from the Plymouth Warehouse computer shop. As a
result of this and the boxes and stacks of hardware they get more biz than
others.

The usual response from the plush looking places though is still mostly
ignorance, which suprises me given the increase in computer generally and
the awareness of linux. It just seems that the business orientated people
in these shops haven't a clue.

Paul Sutton said:
What happened to the thread on getting computer stores to promote
Linux,  it seems to have gone quiet

http://www.torbay-computers.co.uk/

The new shop in Paignton sells 2nd hand units. So there is an
opportunity there to promote linux etc.

They also sell a trust 19200 scanner which should be linux compatable.
or according to

http://www.buzzard.org.uk/jonathan/scanners-usb.html
it is.

Paul