Re: [LUG] Datacentre bits

On Wednesday 28 April 2004 10:57, Alex Stanley wrote:
Not strictly Linux related, but I thought I'd ask some like-minded people
:)

What should the target temperature of a server room / datacentre be?  I've
been tasked with improving the climate control of the server room here, and
I have no idea really what I should be speccing.

For US$43 you can have a copy of "Thermal Guidelines for Data Processing
Environments" from ASHRAE (1791 Tullie Circle NE, Atlanta, GA 30329) at
<http://www.ashrae.org>.

Manufacturers often have machine room or datacentre planning guides - Sun's is
at <http://docs.sun.com/source/805-5863-13> .   They recommend 22degC +/-
1degC and 48%RH +/- 3% .  They've got some good stuff on monitoring, too.

In my (limited) experience, actual temperature isn't the only issue.
Redundancy is good. We once had a single external heat exchanger fan ice up
(it was cold outside). This caused a machine room zone hotspot so fast that
after less than 10 minutes 9 mainframes went down like a row of dominoes.

jd

--
John Daragon           argv[0] limited               john@xxxxxxxxxx
Lambs Lawn Cottage, Staple Fitzpaine, Taunton TA3 5SL, UK