[LUG] Linux Expo - Oct2003 and Apr2004 - my review

I didn't get around to writing anything up on the Linux Format Expo of October
2003, but I've now added content to www.dclug.org.uk from that Expo and the
Linux User & Developer Expo April 2004 that has just finished.

The 'online resources' sections of dclug hadn't been updated for a bit so I've
tidied those up and added some basic links and descriptions for projects and
companies involved in the Expo's. I've added pages on Linux and Hardware and
Linux and Business. These are only meant as summary or introductory pages -
to give a flavour of what is available, so if your pet project/company/code
is not highlighted, don't moan at me - send it to the list and the link can
then be found using the search engine.

Overall, both Expo's were great fun. I met some Debian developers at the first
one, I met some Linux users from Devon at Earls Court platform 3 at the
second Expo. (?!) Completely unexpected - train was delayed, from the various
moans and groans it was easy to identify who was waiting for that train and
how to work around the problem. (Say hello Mick.)

I can thoroughly recommend future Expo's - if you like browsing around and
just being nosey about what others are doing with Linux, it's a great event.
Lots of freebies, lots of useful and friendly people to talk to. There may be
a lot of commercial bods at stands but find your way to the .org village and
all sorts of community folk appear. Debian, Gnome and KDE developers are
usually around, other smaller projects are also represented as well as people
and 'topics of the day', like ePatents. (More later).

It's still useful talking to the commercial bods and as for Rackspace, all I
can say is make sure you look out for the Rackspace girls. (It's not hard,
they've usually got a gaggle of groupies following them around the hall!)

There were seminars and presentations but I think I only got to two of those
over both events! That's something for next time - as well as not drinking so
much in the evening.

--

Neil Williams