Re: [LUG] Tape Backups

Kai Hendry wrote:
On Thu, Apr 15, 2004 at 09:48:19PM +0100, Dave Trudgian wrote:

12Gb over an ADSL connection, even before thinking about the cost of a host
with 12Gb of space.

12Gb is a lot, but if doesn't change much each day then ADSL is fine. I
was backing up a very active repo of about 1 Gb daily via ADSL type
connection via rsync.

Rsync generally only moves want has been changed once a full rsync has
been done.

I thought we'd established Dave has a perfectly good tape drive.....

I bought a dirt cheap tape drive that does 15GB uncompressed per tape,
or around 30GB a tape with on-the-fly compression. Although not as solid
a technology as DDS3 (at least in theory), it seems to work pretty well.

I'm a big fan of backing up everything you can on one tape whereever
possible, seen too much grief through one failed tape in a set, and a
nice simple restore procedure works wonders for one's confidence in
actualy bein able to do a restore.

Damn the new disk drives are too big - what a hardship ;)

I'd be tempted to try squirting it through a better compression
algorithmn (gzip? bzip? compress?) and see if it all fits on tape, since
a temporary use of less than 12GB of disk space shouldn't be an issue.
Apologies if Dave already tried this - although there are increased
issues with corruption potentially. Copy the file hierarchy and compress
that before tar'ing ("compress -R" style IIRC) should minimise the
corruption issue.

Worth a shot and far easier to understand and manage than most tape
rotation systems or incremental backup's, even if a tad slow.

How good is the afio compression algorithmn?