Re: [LUG] backup MX

Simon Waters wrote:

The messages are just bounced earlier, at the backup MX
rather than when they can be delivered to the primary MX.

If you reject the message from the spammer typically no email is sent to
ANYONE!

Yes... agreed. Don't know what the hell I was on about in that paragraph.

- -- Snipped stuff about backup MX attack

Like I said earlier, many people will face the situation where their main
ADSL hosted mail server could be off for days. Backup MX ensures you get
the email full stop, rather than just getting it a bit quicker.

Don't run SMTP servers on boxes which are down that long would be my
advice, POP3 has to be good for something.

I now have a machine that is always on in the states on which to run SMTP. The
advantages of doing my own SMTP on an ADSL box were huge though over using a
POP3 hosting account. Firstly I needed a working SMTP server to develop my
dissertation project software. Secondly it turned out much mroe reliable than
the hosting account I had then... they were bloody awful with large waits for
delivery. I could also run mail services for friends at University who wanted
to be able to email large(ish) attachments etc not possible with their
University or Hotmail accounts.

As non computer scientists (i.e. no UNIX access) the only way for them to get
files on and off Uni computers was by email or floppy disk.

Interestingly, I actually want spam at the moment for a dissertation
project, I'm not out to stop it dead!

Getting listed as a back-up MX for a few domains should do the trick.

We saw over a 1/3 of all spam go straight to the back-up MXes when we
ran them. At this point you are providing the spammer with a no pain
method of dumping spam as quickly as possible, where as most MTA's will
use back-off algorithmns on connections that attempt to email large
numbers of non-existent addresses, backup MXs don't have this luxury.

Of course there is no way to tell if your spam is representative, unless
you collect from representative samples of users. There is at least one
spam archive on the net which can do you a few tens of megabytes.

Yup... have done considerable research into this sort of stuff. Have 4 good
quality corpora for my work, around about 320mb of spam and ham mail.
Actually, my spam doesn't have to representative of spam in general. The
filter is designed to be trained to work on an individuals spam, a selection
of spam of many users causes over generalisation in the training  and lower
performance for the individual.

http://www.trudgian.net/content/spamkann/

I think I might now go and have a look at constructing an exim router and
transport config that will silently drop mails (or perhaps freeze, so I can
see them) at the backup mx which fail as 550 unknown user on the primary MX.
Should be perfectly do-able.

- --
Dave Trudgian - Cornish Dave
[w] www.trudgian.net