Re: [LUG] backup MX

Dave Trudgian wrote:

Seeing David's posting reminded me of a task I intend for the coming weeks
and had thought about looking for a HOW-TO/FAQ on. That is, how do I set up
a redundant mail server that will forward mail to the primary mail server
when its available?

Using exim4 on debian it's been trivial for my trudgian.net domain.

... Snip explanation that doesn't maintain list of acceptable email
boxes to the backup MX.

The first question is "why would you do this?".

Blind (not knowing vaid user names) backup MXes generate bounces if the
spammed address does not exist, and are routinely targetted by spammers
to offload spam quicker.

The benefit - well for the 1% or so of the time your email server is
unavailable you can get mail marginally quicker (if you can be bothered
to force a queue flush).

I suggest there are few situations where those benefits outweigh the
downside - it has just become something we do because we've always done
it, but the proliferation of spam and viruses, just mean that they
generate more email dross to little advantage.