Re: [LUG] Fw: USB Storage

On Saturday 10 April 2004 9:21, you wrote:
Neil Williams wrote:
Which distro?
Which version?

On this machine SUSE 7.0

That's probably the problem - your kernel version may be too old to recognise
the device. As new devices are brought to market, kernel developers add the
ID and resource requirements for each new device to the various modules and
drivers. You can't expect new peripherals to work with old software.

scsi drives, cdroms and a scanner on another machine without any
difficulty.

Because they were already recognised.

After doing "modprobe usb-storage" these lines added :

-------------
usb.c: registered new driver usbdevfs
usb.c: registered new driver hub
usb.c: registered new driver usb-storage
USB Mass Storage support registered.
-------------

It doesn't look like you've switched the camera on.

What do you get when the device is connected and powered up? That appears in
dmesg too. If you get 'device is not claimed by any driver' then you've
usually got a peripheral that is not recognised. The module asks the
peripheral for it's ID and doesn't find a corresponding driver.

The device won't be recognised until powered on.

[I'll do the equivalent on my more up to date machine, running Mandrake
9.2 another day, but it won't work on that either :-(  ]

That's more of a problem. This might be why:

OK so I've got a relatively cheap digital camera (Praktica Genius 1,3)
which in one mode you can connect to a PC via a USB port and it's
supposed to appear as a removable drive. Let me quote the MS orientated
manual (this I think is German thinly disguised as English) :

I couldn't find any reference to this camera when I searched on Google.

What media is the camera using? If it's compact flash or other typical camera
card storage, just ditch the camera interface and buy a £20 USB reader that
Linux does recognise. Then simply remove the card and transfer images via the
adaptor. This has several advantages:
1. You are not using the camera power, possibly saving battery power
2. You have full access to the card and can read and write independently of
camera limitations
3. Many adaptors are multi-function and if you change camera or want to read
data from someone else's camera, you can use the same adaptor.
4. With a spare card (or in-camera memory) you can continue using the camera
whilst dealing with the images.

You don't need to access the camera to access the images.

(I use a PCMCIA adaptor in the laptop).

While normally I'm happy to play around with Linux and see what works
and what doesn't and fiddle and tweak for weeks, in this case my mindset
is that of a "normal user". That is I'm not especially concerned how

But you are expecting to use a peripheral on Linux when the manufacturer does
NOT support Linux. When you go unsupported, you must expect that problems can
need to be solved on your own.

it's done, I just want to be able to use the device. In this "normal
user mode" it's no comfort whatsoever to see that it maybe "works a
bit", either it works or it doesn't and if it doesn't it's NBG. Surely

That is the fault of the camera, not Linux. In some ways, this illustrates the
problems with buying peripherals on the basis of price - it is worth asking /
searching before purchase! The work involved in getting an internal PCI modem
to work in Linux can be far more costly than the price differential to an
external modem. Again with ADSL, the requirements of the cheaper ADSL modems
are far more burdensome than the small surcharge for an ADSL router.

usb-storage should be simple and straightforward? I can well see why the

It is simple and straightforward - but when manufacturers do not release data
to Linux developers then support has to be improvised 'as and when'. If you
use a less common camera or a camera that is more modern than your kernel,
problems are likely.

average user doesn't want to touch Linux, and much as I'm a supporter of
the whole Free Software philosophy and politics, it's rather difficult
to advocate a system which doesn't deliver the services that a "normal
user" would take for granted.

A normal user would only expect to use a supported peripheral on the OS of the
manufacturer's choice!

Free software reflects other elements of freedom - there is no freedom without
responsibility. You have the responsibility to do some of the work yourself
when problems occur.

Plug the camera into the USB, switch it on and post the last 20 lines of
dmesg.

If you still haven't sorted the configuration of your email client, please
don't post to me (or anyone else) with a request to forward - use the website
members area to post to the list:
http://www.dclug.org.uk/members/list.php

If you've forgotten your members area password (which is different to any of
your email passwords), use the Remind Me form on the DCLUG home page.

--

Neil Williams