Re: [LUG] Promoting GNU/Linux through computer shop

On Sunday 04 April 2004 16:02, Neil Williams wrote:

Kai's idea is for a user to request an 'administrator' to fix their
machine. That will involve allowing the administrator's machine to access
the user machine, usually as root. The user would need to make SSH
available over their broadband connection AND give a third party
(administrator) their root password. That IS a lot of trust.

Currently, the most we do is ask the user along to a meeting, let them open
a terminal window and su to root and either just advise or let them watch
the commands used to fix the problem. There is a lot more trust required
when the user cannot learn / watch during a remote session and it would be
essential that the user changes the root password once the fix is complete.

It is a product worth scoping for the market.
The most obvious aspect of it would be as an organised helpdesk for a body of
people who had purchased computers set up with a Linux distribution from the
firm or partnership or not-for-profit running the helpdesk.

I am not aware of anyone running it for Windows, but given the possibilities
with TightVNC and RDP I would not be surprised by it.

Defining the market is one thing - and I suspect the market is people who want
reliable computing, rather than anything specific to an initial choice of
Linux over other OSs.
--
Adrian Midgley                   (Linux desktop)
GP, Exeter