Re: [LUG] NVidia Drivers + SUSE 9.0

Gemma Peter wrote:

I installed the drivers for my nvidia graphics card last night. I'm not
sure if I installed it correctly.

Open the console and type:-

3Ddiag

3Ddiag will tell if it thinks the drivers are installed correctly.

Originally SUSE had a 'dummy' driver that was installed to take the
place of the official driver (which for some reason couldn't be included
on the CD). The dummy driver doesn't have 3D hardware acceleration
support though.

Nvidia doesn't have an open source policy but allows you to download the
drivers for free.

I downloaded the official nvidia driver and followed the instructions.
In Sax2 it still doesn't allow me to check the 3d acceleration option
and gives a message that I need to install the official drivers.

Have you the larest Nvidia driver? There has been some problems with
earlier drivers. Incidently the 4620 beta version a neat little "tweaker" and
didn't need any intervention with Sax2 The lastest driver I am aware of is-

NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-5336-pkg1.run

It has a built in installer. See the readme on the Nvidia site.

(Always remove the older version with nvidia-installer --uninstall before
installing the new version)

There was a note in the readme that it would do this but how do I tell
whether the 3D acceleration support is _actually_ enabled?

Open the console and type:-

gears

This will show you the fps.

Keith