Re: [LUG] Open Office 1.02 RIP

Peter Butterfield wrote:

I can't find it on the process table. I tried the rm and ps (with and without the - in front of aux) but I'm not sure what's happened. Is a reinstall more likely to work after rm?

It all depends on whether the uninstall clears all the files out.
One way to check what files it is using is to use strace:-

strace -e trace=open oowriter

which should list all the files opened by the program. This will include lots of system libraries but you should be able to pick out the files in the openoffice directories and your home directory etc.

You then know what the files causing the trouble are likely to be and can make sure they are deleted before reinstalling.

If you want to dig deeper.....
Don't know if it is producing a core file when it seg faults. If it is then you can use the debugger, gdb, to produce a stack trace of what it thought it was doing immediately before the crash.

If you can't find the core file you can still run the program under the debugger. If you:-

export SAL_DEBUGGER=gdb

Then ooo should start in the debugger (assuming you have it installed). This works for OOO1.1.
In the debugger type:-

handle SIG32 pass nostop
run

and just keep going until the progam segfaults. You can then type

backtrace

to produce a print out of what it was doing.

quit

will exit the debugger.

Cheers,

Pete