Re: [LUG] gov says OSS not a hype bubble

Adrian Midgley wrote:

Significantly the consultation paper categorically states that OSS is not a
fad but the start of a fundamental change in the software infrastructure
market

I guess it was the Internet that they finally noticed ;)

Didn't you feel the consultation paper was oh so bland - afraid these
would be the first bunch Gordon Brown would take the knife to if I were
Tony.

Me I'd go for mandating all major government software purchases must be
dual supplier, in terms of support - immediately taking the "trade
secret" nature out of the software supply arrangement.

Not specifically a FLOSS issue - just standard supply chain management
in most industries - IBM did it, that is why Intel isn't the only PC CPU
supplier even if it has a dominant position in some other chip supply areas.