Re: [LUG] Debian and starting programs at login

Neil Williams <linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

jamesk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
Kai Hendry <hendry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote :
On Sun, Mar 14, 2004 at 05:53:10PM +0000, Neil Williams wrote:
What I am still trying to achieve is to get my sigmonster script and
numlockx started at login, as well as getting

If you want to make something available to GUI programs, it'll need to
be in a GUI script. .bash_profile and .bashrc will make it available
in terminals and GUI XTerm sessions. (I would set PATH in .bashrc
rather than .bash_profile.) To make ~/bin/ part of your path for GUI
applications, you will need to put something in .xinitrc or .xsession.

Finally got it sorted, GDM won't read .bash_profile, it reads
either .gnomerc (in debian, though this is a nonstandard behaviour
apparently) or .profile. Took a little while of digging around in
the GDM scripts to find this out though ;)

The only other thing I have noticed is really really trivial, my
system Bell no longewr seems to work under
debian, which is weird and slightly annoying.

Check that you haven't configured it as a system sound instead of the
system bell.

It wasn't that, it was even weirder, the stock Debian 2.6 kernel
doesn't, apparently, load the pcspkr module by default, which I find
truly truly odd. Once that was loaded everything was good again.

--
James                                   jamesk[at]homeric[dot]co[dot]uk

"His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed
moral bankruptcy."  Woody Allen