Re: [LUG] Debian and starting programs at login

Kai Hendry <hendry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote :

On Sun, Mar 14, 2004 at 05:53:10PM +0000, Neil Williams wrote:
start up fetchmail and a couple of other things, this is a bit of a pain.
Couldn't that be a cron job?

Polling fetchmail from your login manager does sound like
a bad idea.

Yeah, it was a messy hack, but as it worked well enough
on Red Hat I never got around to changing it.

Install anacron if your machine gets switched off at >nights.

Have done, but as it now all seems to work well with
fetchmail being started up at boot time this is no longer
a problem.

What I am still trying to achieve is to get my sigmonster script and numlockx
started at login, as well as getting
my ~/bin/ dir included in my path, which works fine if
I login at a tty, but not if I login using GDM, which appears to ignore my
.bash_profile completely.

The only other thing I have noticed is really really
trivial, my system Bell no longewr seems to work under
debian, which is weird and slightly annoying.

--
James