DNS for dclug.org.uk Re: [LUG] mail oddness

David Pithouse wrote:

We can delete io from this list because it is broke and silly to have,
and we can delete prot because it is realy pi.

Indeed prot has gone, however termisoc is still 'acting' as a secondary
DNS for the dclug the new IP for the server is 141.163.153.3 called
banana.termisoc.org, and we are happy to continue doing so !

Great - we need all the suuport we can get.

DNS is distinct from backup MX. We don't want "blind" backup MX'es, but
we do want slave DNS servers.

You might think you are a DNS slave, but did anyone tell a-squared or
the registrar?

dig @nsa.nic.uk dclug.org.uk ns +short
ns.tertial.org.
esra.termisoc.org.
dns1.a-squared.co.uk.

dig esra.termisoc.org a
... NXDOMAIN

dig @banana.termisoc.org dclug.org.uk any

.. shows Banana is indeed authoritative, but no one knows to ask it, so
it is kind of irrelevant (unless banana happens to be your recursive DNS
server (what we have authoritative servers offering recursions - don't
tell Simon) when you'll be the only people who can access the domain
when the other two DNS servers are down) ...

I guess someone should change the esra.termisoc.org NS entry to be
banana, and tell the registrar so the delegation can be fixed. I do hope
the SOA contact record for the domain is right or I'll be bugging some
nice helpful person at a-squared.

Simon who ought to read his weekly DNS check email more often.