Re: [LUG] Tungsten|UoP computing

frank black wrote:

(This email's a bit long as I end up blowing on about UoP computing :p)

That Palm Tungstan looks good. I've just sold my Zaurus due to the
battery life. No money at the moment. Wonder if you can dual boot linux
on it?

On UoP computing:

- Are you allowed to plug your own computer into your provided RM machine
and NAT it?

No but it didn't stop me. My PC is owned by the University, under the old scheme and has Linux installed. I simply stuck in another NIC. Use the Uni PC as a gateway and then attach a hub to the extra NIC. It's easier for me as the Uni PC has Linux installed. The new desktop PCs policy does not allow Linux installion, but then that's just rules.

I seriously doubt lynx will manage to work with the portal because it uses popups.

I somewhat think UoP has got to be un unfortunate choice for anyone doing
computing. They just prefer to invest in M$ rather than people. The
attitude is Business orientated, usually opporsite to educational ethos.
They give the impression that closed source is the only way in business. I
can understand this point of view from a business point of view but
without sharing information you learn nothing.

I agree.

If you thought the portal madness was bad there's much worse. For example, the whole network is setup via MAC addresses. This means that those MAC address are held in the routers and are constantly getting updated putting a massive drain on the network. I expect they set it up wrong when Plym Uni was a polytec in the 60's and never bothered to change it as machines were added.

The portal is a black art. I haven't a clue how it works,

It doesn't much of the time.

I just have to
trust in computing services to get it right. After a lot of complaints
about spam I've found they're clearing up on that at least. Incidently, if
you got OutlookXP(full) at home (runs with Crossover Office) you can dial
in to your exchange account and set things like "I'm on holiday" messages.
That really confused the OpenAccess people :D Also, you can access staff
pages. Makes an for interesting read, audit results and the like:

http://staff.plymouth.ac.uk/ (use your student pass)

which leads to a page on using linux in research, interesting...

http://staff.plymouth.ac.uk/gnulinux/

That's my portal, which is difficult to upload to using the portal.

Regards
Andrew